Title III, Section 316 of the Older Americans Act creates the National Family Caregiver Support Program (NFCSP)(Title III-E). In Wisconsin, services are to be provided by or contracted through the local aging unit. The program provides for multifaceted systems of support services for (1) family caregivers; and (2) grandparents or older individuals that are relative caregivers.
The intent of the program is to provide information, support and assistance to family caregivers.
• Information to caregivers about available services
• Assistance to caregivers in gaining access to supportive services
• Individual counseling, organization of support groups, and caregiver training to assist caregivers in making decisions and solving problems relating to their roles
• Respite care to enable caregivers to be temporarily relieved from their caregiving responsibilities
• Supplemental services, on a limited basis, to complement the care provided by caregivers
• Family caregivers of older adults (age 60 years and older)
• Grandparents and relative caregivers of children not more than 18 years of age (including grandparents who are sole caregivers of grandchildren and those individuals who are affected by mental retardation or who have developmental disabilities)
The first phone call that caregivers should make is to the Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) of Jackson County. ADRCs provide free and unbiased information and assistance to connect families with in-home care providers, respite services and other caregiver resources in the area. ADRC staff is trained to navigate through immediate crises and provide decision-making counseling so that caregivers can make informed decisions. ADRC staff can also refer families to professionals that provide legal advice and financial planning services, including information about Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid benefits.
For more information contact:
ADRC of Jackson County
421 County Road R
Black River Falls, WI 54615
Phone: 715-284-3978 or 1-844-493-4245
Family Caregiver Alliance Fact Sheet
National Alliance for Caregiving
National Family Caregivers Association
UW – Extension for Family Caregiving
Well Spouse Association
What Caregiving Looks Like
Wisconsin Family Caregiver Support
Wisconsin Family Caregiver Support Program