Adult Protective Services Purpose:

Adult Protective Services (APS) are available to assist older adults (age 60 and above) and adults-at-risk (age 18-59) who have been abused, neglected, or exploited. Adult Protective Service Social Workers receive, respond, and investigate reports of alleged abuse, neglect, and financial exploitation. The purpose of assessing and investigating reports is to ensure the safety, protection, and wellbeing of vulnerable adults and to determine if abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation occurred.

The Jackson County Department of Health and Human Services Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) receives calls of concern regarding vulnerable adults age eighteen and older. Referrals concerning potential abuse, neglect and/ or self-neglect of vulnerable adults may be forwarded to the Adult Protective Services unit for further investigation to offer additional protection and services as needed. Adults sometimes live or behave in ways that are unhealthy or unsafe. These behaviors may pose a danger to the individual or to others. Adults who are competent have the right to refuse investigation and any recommended services regardless of the opinion of professionals, family, friends, and others. Every action taken by Adult Protective Services must balance the duty to protect the safety of the vulnerable adult with the adult’s right to self-determination. Adults have the right to make decisions that do not conform with societal norms as long as these decisions do not harm others. For adults who are found to lack cognitive capacity and/or may be a danger to themselves or others, Adult Protective Services may offer legal interventions as deemed necessary. These interventions may result in a healthier and safer existence for the individual and other citizens.

Ways to Report Abuse, Neglect, and Financial Exploitation to Adult Protective Services:

  • Call the Aging and Disability Resource Center of Jackson County at (715) 284-3978 Monday-Friday 8:00-4:30 and ask to speak with an Adult Protective Services Social Worker. Call the Jackson County Sheriff’s Department to report on holidays and weekends at 715-284-5357. For an immediate life threatening emergency call 911.
  • Email the attached APS Referral Form to [email protected]. Please be sure to fill out as much information as possible on the form.
  • In-person at 421 County Road R, Black River Falls, Wisconsin 54615 go to the front desk and ask for an Adult Protective Services Social Worker and/or complete a referral form and return to the front desk.


SAGE National LGBT Elder Hotline 

Respect Your Elders. Report Elder Abuse in Wisconsin. (

National Center on Elder Abuse 

End Domestic Abuse Wisconsin

Administration for Community Living 

Wisconsin Coalition Against Sexual Assault 

Office of Justice

Disability Rights Wisconsin

Coalition of Wisconsin Aging & Health Groups