How does the ADRC help Youth in Transition?

The Aging and Disability Resource Center of Jackson County helps assist with the transition process starting at the age of 17 years and 6 months. The ADRC is an entry point for information and assistance on issues affecting students and adults with disabilities regardless of income.

Services Provided at the ADRC include but are not limited to:

  • Disability benefits counseling
    • Applying for SSI (Supplemental Security Income) and Medicaid
    • Advocacy if you receive a denial of benefits
    • Information on working and keeping benefits
  • Eligibility determination for publicly funded long term care programs
  • Support Options

ADRC services can be provided in person, via telephone or through a home visit.
To schedule an appointment please contact the ADRC of Jackson County at 715.284.4301 or 844.493.4245

County Community on Transition (CCoT)

CCoT is a regional committee that meets regularly to identify issues, barriers, supports and solutions to assisting students with disabilities make a successful transition based on student post-secondary goals related to training or education, employment and independent living. The key to the CCoT success is sharing the work, establishing effective communication and new relationships to better work together.

Suggested CCoT members can include, but are not limited to:

  • School Districts
  • Children’s Long-Term Care Support
  • Adult Long-Term Care Organizations
  • Family Members
  • Guardians
  • Local Businesses
  • Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
  • Aging and Disability Resource Centers
  • Youth
  • Higher Education – Community College and/or University representatives

For more information or to join the Jackson County CCoT Team, please reach out to [email protected]

CCoT Newsletter

2 Pages- Click on the document to show the navigation bar to move between pages.

JC-CCoT Vol 2 issue 2 SSA

April 2024:

    • April 10, 1-4pm   Supported Decision- Making Webinar
      • Review Supported Decision- Making, powers of attorney and guardianship; how cultural bias influences who we think can/should make decisions and the importance of self-determination.
      • Register HERE
      • Hosted by WI Board for People with Developmental Disabilities
    • April 24, 12-1pm Living Well- Know Your Rights Webinar for Family Members 
      • Join the BPDD Living Well team and long-term care providers to learn about the Let’s Talk About Rights series for family members and guardians. Learn about how to use this tool to educate yourself on the rights that all people with disabilities have and how you can support people with disabilities to assert their rights
      • Register HERE 
      • Hosted by WI Board for People with Developmental Disabilities

May 2024:

    • May 7th 8:30-2pmCCOT Job Olympics; Black River Falls School District – West Gym
      • Join us for a day of networking, job opportunities, and career growth as we connect your skills with job opportunities.
      • Hosted by Jackson County CCoT

July 2024:

    • July 7-12th, Wisconsin Youth Leadership Forum, via Edgewood College, Madison WI
      • For high school students with disabilities who have an IEP (Up to age 21)
      • Students will: gain leadership and self-advocacy skills; learn about college and career options, develop a personal leadership plan, increase their confidence, experience independence living in a safe space; make connections with their state legislators, mentors and new friends.
      • WI YLF 2024 Print Application or WI YLF 2024 Google Application Form
      • APPLICATIONS DUE March 15th 

Completing high school is a big milestone for most students, this is especially true for students with disabilities. It is an exciting yet scary transition for students as they transition from high school to the adult world. Planning for life after high school starts early. In Wisconsin, students with Individualized Education Programs (IEP) create a Postsecondary Transition Plan (PTP) with the IEP team when they turn 14. The plan helps guide students to reach their goals. Check out the WI Transition App which can help make sure your voice is heard when you create your transition plan.

Individualized Education Plans (IEP) begin at age 14, and all students who have IEPs are required to have their plans reviewed yearly. Required goals of the IEP are employment, post-secondary education. A third area that is important, but not required, is independent living.

More information can be found on the IEP Check List to help parents and students prepare for all steps in the transition process.


The mission of this organization is to provide and broaden opportunities to enhance the quality of life for children and adults with disabilities, and their families.  The information emphasizes support for underserved families in the community.

  • Helps parents build partnerships with those who provide services to their children.
  • Connects families to community resources.
  • Educates parents on their rights and how to use those rights to become involved in their child’s education.
  • Empowers parents and young adults so they may advocate effectively for their own needs.
  • Provides information and resources to educators and other professionals who support children with disabilities.

You can find more resources online at: Resources For Special Education & Disabilities Wisconsin | WI FACETS and digital and printable publications at: IEP Publications & Other Resources Wisconsin | WI FACETS

For additional information on youth transition services, please call the ADRC: 715-284-3978.

Financial Planning

Managing finances can be difficult and overwhelming for many youth transitioning into adulthood. There are different ways transitioning youth can receive support and feel safe when it comes to managing their finances. Below is a list of resources to utilize for support with their financial matters. These resources are arranged from the least restrictive to the most restrictive for an individual.

Voluntary Banking Restrictions

Individuals can receive support through their bank by giving a trusted adult access to their bank accounts. Some of these options include joint bank accounts, naming an agent on your account, dual signature checking accounts, setting up direct deposit, or setting up automatic withdrawals. Talk with a representative from your bank for more information.

Power of Attorney for Finances

This is a document that an individual completes and signs naming an agent to handle their financial affairs in the event that they are not able to. The individual determines what the agent has authority over and how they would want the agent to handle their finances. The document is active upon signing, unless you state specifically in the document when an individual would want it activated. To find a copy of the Power of Attorney for Finances and Property click here.

Representative Payee

If you receive Social Security benefits and need help managing your finances, the Social Security Administration can appoint a trusted individual or a professional agency to serve as your representative payee. A Representative Payee collects the individuals benefits on their behalf and ensures all their bills are paid.

For more information, please visit Social Security Administration

Guardian of Estate

A Guardian of Estate is the most restrictive for an individual and is appointed by the court to manage a person’s financial affairs. A Guardian of Estate is appointed when an individual does not have to mental capacity to make decisions regarding his or her finances and less restrictive options would not meet the individual’s needs.

For more information, please see Guardian of Estate Brochure

Special Needs Asset Planning

ABLE (Achieving a Better Life Experience) Accounts 

A Guardian of Estate is the most restrictive for an individual and is appointed by the court to manage a person’s financial affairs. A Guardian of Estate is appointed when an individual does not have to mental capacity to make decisions regarding his or her finances and less restrictive options would not meet the individual’s needs.

For more information go to Quantum Planners website